Old 31-05-2004, 11:04 PM
David J Bockman

Default dirty yard

May I ask, where do you live? It's possible your yard contains 'Marine
Clay', an especially noxious form of clay that can, when saturated, cause
anaerobic decomposition of any organics within the soil structure. This
decomposition without oxygen causes really bad smells as all sorts of alkyds
and even alcohols are produced.

If you tell us where you live perhaps we can look at soil maps of your area.

Dave

"The Data Rat" wrote in message
My yard smells. It is heavy clay and when it rains, it holds moisture and
turns green with either algae or mold. (I have had 2 loads of top soil
brought in, tilled it and amended it per the dept. of agriculture. It
always started out great, then turns back to clay. Overall, I have spent
about 3K on the back yard)

Oddly enough, where it smells the worst is in an area that gets full sun

bright shade all day. The yard is graded correctly, it slopes down, away
from the house. I do not have any trees in the yard, but there are very
tall pine tree's behind the yard.

My question is what can I put on it to neutralize the smell?
I am getting ready to deck the remaining yard in so I don't care if it

kills
the grass, (what little there is). I also have 2 dogs and the smell of
urine stays forever. Baking soda doesn't work and I have actually tried
Febreeze. It's just a rank smell.

Thanks!

Suzi