Old 01-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Janice

Default Old Seeds

On Sun, 30 May 2004 11:48:46 GMT, "Don B" wrote:

Hello everyone
This is my second year working on my little garden (4x8), and I still have
some seeds from last year. My question is should I plant using the old
seeds, or purchase new ones?

The remaining seeds were sealed up, and were kept in a dry place in the
basement.

Most seed will last from year to year as long as they don't get too
hot, or worse, humid. Exceptions for *me* are parsnips and lettuce, I
never get good germination after the year they're sold for. Others
say they do, but I'd buy new lettuce if you need it.

Le Jardin du Gourmet sells sample seed packets for 35 cents a packet,
and that's an excellent way to try things, or if you have a small
garden.

They have a web presences at:
http://www.artisticgardens.com/herb_seedsplants.htm

It's a little late for some things, but there are late season lettuce,
and you can start a few here and there, plus there are seeds for herbs
like thyme, basils, marjoram..etc etc etc.

I don't know where you are though, so what the weather there is like,
I don't know.

Enjoy your garden!!

Janice