Old 01-06-2004, 04:06 AM
sam crowell

Default [IBC] Azaleas and Miracid

The recent discussion regarding azaleas having leaf tips turn dark and then
drying, continuing until the whole plant is dead is EXACTLY what I have
experienced with all the azaleas I have ever owned.

Not once did anyone question my fertilizing with Miracid. Most of the
suggestions were with respect to overwatering/underwatering/root problems.
I tried a lot of things, putting them in heavy shade, misting often, nothing
seemed to help. The longest I kept one alive was about a year and a half.
I finally figured that our climate was just too dry, without a misting
system, and that our 200+ days of sunshine a year was just too much.

My wife bought a little azalea in February this year. Feeling rather like
the grim reaper for azaleas, I kept my hands off totally. It has flourished
in a dimly light kitchen, getting little sunlight. Leaves are nice and
green, it has been slowly blooming less and less since she purchased it. It
seems to be constantly pushing new growth.

When I read of other people's experience....it just dawned on me that was
what I had also experienced...I must have been WAY overfertilizing my
azaleas...apparently a little bit goes a long way. I don't want to bash
Miracid, are there people out there who use it with success? If so, what
sort of concentration, and frequency?

All in all the comments I read, and my own observations have been
encouraging enough that I might try azaleas again, but I think I will leave
my wife's azalea alone :-)

Sam Crowell

Klamath Falls, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++