Old 01-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Liza

Default Saving Seeds?

Nuthoney :

This is really hard to determine, as you haven't mentioned where you
purchased the seeds from or what type of seeds they are. Generally unless
the plant is marked a 'heirloom variety' or you purchased the seeds off a
reputable seed supplier, I would advise ' don't waste your time' Though in
saying this I have saved lettuce and pumpkin seeds from yates packets that I
still grow in my garden 5 years later.

Also some seeds are more difficult to save than others, due to a number of
reasons. ie cross pollunation etc.

I own a book titled 'seeds savers handbook' by Michael & Jude Fanton found
at www.seedsavers.net , which I find invaluable for seed saving (an
australian site) and I buy seeds i want to save from www.diggers.com.au
(again Australian site) Seeds such as corn are impossible to save, don't
even try, and this list could go on with different processes in saving
seeds. A good rule of thumb is : most vegetable seeds are fairly easy to
germinate and save if the plant is not a hybrid, but with flowers and
perinnials saving and germination can be become 'tricky'. ie stratification
may be required etc.

"nutNhoney" wrote in message
This year I have grown the majority of my vegetable plants from
purchased seeds. Can I save the seeds of the resulting plants for next
year? If so, what is the best method to do this? TIA