Old 01-06-2004, 10:03 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Emergency! Please help me save this small collected elm!

A bit late in the year for a potting but Elms are tough so you may have
a chance.

Will the crack in the trunk and nebari show or has it sprung closed? If
closed it should heal eventually. A smear of some branch sealant would
probably help, though I don't think it's essential. Hope the roots
didn't dry out? Trim the ends of the thicker brutalised roots cleanly.
Keep all the fibrous root that you can. Box it up in free draining soil.
Place in semi shade and protect from wind. Tie down to the box if it is
at all unstable. Water in well and then wait until it is almost dry
before watering again. Pray.

I cut 75% of the root off my collected elm to get it into a box this
spring and it hasn't turned a hair. It's producing lots of new growth
and even a few bonus suckers that are detatched and rooting very easily.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales