Old 01-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Pat Patterson

Default [IBC] Emergency! Please help me save this small collected elm!

G'day Justin...

Good advice from Kevin...here's a bit more...

The following is a generic scenario, and needs to be tailored to your area and
species. Also, it is based on one dezertrat's experience.

Always remember that the best advice is very likely to come from local club
members.

Having said that, if you can, plant your tree in the ground to grow out for at
least one year…two or more is probably better. Since I do not grow out in
the ground, I'll leave that to be covered by someone else.

Consider when you read the following that I live on the edge of the Southern
Arizona High Desert...at 4550' elevation. Also, I don't do a lot of
collecting.

However, when I do (rarely) collect, I pot up the small (less than 2" trunk)
subjects in oversized training pots and use pure perlite. I've had a few of
these produce in ONE year, more roots than I could use. You do have to watch
perlite closely since it tends to hold on to too much water. On subjects with
trunks over 2" I generally use pure pumice...with good results.

Pot you tree in an oversized training pot or tub or wooden box (oversized is
the key word). Pot it in pure pumice or perlite. Disturb the roots as little
as possible. Soak the soil thoroughly with SuperThrive or KLN.

Place it out of direct sun, protect from wind, and watch it daily. Don't over
water…the soil should be moist but not wet, and it should not be allowed to
dry out. Mist daily, or more often.

After 3-5 weeks, gradually introduce your plant into direct morning sun. You
should soon be seeing signs of new growth.

The plant should be left to establish itself for a minimum of one year…two
years is better for most plants.

Do this as soon as possible.

Be prepared for the worst...the elm mignt not survive, but have a go at
it...and, good luck.

Have a good day.

Pat

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'