Old 01-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Kay Easton

Default urg restricted? Was -- Cilantro

In article , Frogleg
writes
On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:55:39 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it.

Well, you would have been had you read the charter or the 'abc' post
which is posted every week for newcomers to the group. We don't make a
secret of it! It's always advisable to find out about a group before you
post to it - titles can be misleading (alt.fan.british.accent and
uk.rec.sheds are just two that come to mind).

But in this case, we are what we seem - gardening in the uk - as
indicated by being part of the uk hierarchy

The idea that plants behave differently in your country than they
do in mine is certainly a new one. Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there? Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?

Absolutely. But what we can't do here is give the same levels of heat,
light and so on. If someone posts advice based on , say, US conditions,
then a newcomer to gardening may follow that advice and find that their
plants fail. We don't have problems with drought, but we have a short
growing season and long fairly cold wet periods with low light in the
winter, so that plants that you may think from our latitude should grow
OK here in fact fail over the winter.

Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods in
the UK, and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.

You are very welcome to discuss UK related gardening (we have many
overseas posters) and you have contributed a lot of interesting posts.
But it *is* a UK gardening group - rec.gardens is a general gardening
group, though I believe it is basically US in provenance (as would be
expected given the relative nos of internet users in our two countries).
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: