Old 01-06-2004, 03:05 PM
The Watcher

Default Injured spruce

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 02:39:42 -0500, Dan Hartung
wrote:

A small (3') spruce on rental property was injured by a tenant's
children. Basically, about 90% of the needles were torn off, and perhaps
15-20% of the smaller branches were broken.

I've replanted the tree in a safer spot, but other than pruning off the
obviously broken branches, I'm unsure what else I can do to nurse it
back to health. It's been very rainy in the upper midwest, which may be
helping or not; there is fresh green growth and some of the stripped
branches already have small buds appearing.

Anything better than benign neglect to suggest?

A good mulch layer around the base(not against the trunk, though) with some
compost and maybe some light shade for part of the day. I have a small spruce
growing in a partly shaded spot and it seems to like the conditions there.