Old 01-06-2004, 03:05 PM
simy1

Default Saving Seeds?

nutNhoney wrote in message ...
This year I have grown the majority of my vegetable plants from
purchased seeds. Can I save the seeds of the resulting plants for next
year? If so, what is the best method to do this? TIA

In my experience only greens warrant saving seeds (because you need
lots) plus of course garlic and onions - or if you think you can no
longer get seeds for the veggie you are growing. And of course you can
save only heirloom seeds, no hybrids. I suppose you could consider
saving parsnip seeds because they expire so quickly.

A $2.50 tomato heirloom seed packet lasts me ten years (in the
freezer), and I grow 30 plants. I usually let mache, arugula, and
tatsoi reseed freely in my garden which is a sort of labor-free seed
saving (the patch can get messy, but the proper technique is to hoe
right after their seeds have matured. They are usually the first to
seed, having overwintered under cover, so it works). They provide two
crops a year that way, and if you are willing to relocate some seeds,
also ground covering under taller plants (and a few free salads). I
used to let mustard greens do that, but they were so rampant I
discontinued the practice. I have in the past used chicory and mache
seeds (which are tough little plants with strong root systems) to
"prime" a bare patch of clay in my lawn. I am happy I have my seed
saving technique down pat, but hear me, unless you are willing to work
at pennies per hour, seed is cheap.