Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Frogleg

Default urg restricted? Was -- Cilantro

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:15:22 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

writes

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it.

Well, you would have been had you read the charter or the 'abc' post
which is posted every week for newcomers to the group.

And so I did several years ago when I first discovered urg. Since
then, I have specifically refrained from posting anything like "water
your lawn 1" per week" or "iris should be transplanted in summer,"
knowing that my experience is limited to a specific climate -- one of
*many* in the US. I have, in fact, learned that the UK also has many
climate schemes -- while one poster is complaining about cold and
rain, another is sunbathing on the lawn. However, I do not believe it
is climate-specific that daffodils tend to produce fewer blooms when
they need to be lifted and divided. Or that the most frequent cause of
'leggy' seedlings is lack of light. I also don't ask questions about
insect or plant problems that are strictly local. I enjoy the
argle-bargle about impossible neighbors, and the Cat Problem is a
perennial(!) topic in all gardening conversations, not one limited by
geography.

My specific faux pas, it seems, was discussing coriander/cilantro.
Whether being growin in the USA, the UK, or Japan, in a greenhouse or
back garden, the growth habit of this plant has certain
characteristics with which I'm all too familiar. I can't see the
offense in mentioning some of these.