Old 01-06-2004, 06:02 PM

Default dirty yard

wowow... after spending all that money for additives. you need to get somebody in
there can tell you if there is any way to drain the area or if it is just going to
keep coming and coming and coming. I mean all that nice stuff worked in. sheesh
OTOH. http://puregold.aquaria.net/landscape/gravel/gravel.htm
my back yard is 25' x 25' and it is low too. not that greasy stuff it is actually
well drained. But if it was me I would start by putting down impermeable later of
something like permalon or epdm and use gravel instead of grass on top of it. That
will stop the stink AND water will drain off the gravel (as long as it is sloped at
all) then build your garden UP with boxes over areas that dont have plastic. that
way everything gets dry soil on top and can put their roots down into wet (I would go
for plants dont mind wet feet).
soon I will update my backyard pictures cause it is like a jungle back there now.
Ingrid

Janice wrote:
Ah HA!!! at the edge of the Swamp!!!
You're on swamp ground ..that's been "reclaimed".. sort of. Dry on
top, wet underneath. Sounds like you need some way of "draining" the
soil, but the only way I know of doing that is for them to dig drain
ditches, but if you're at the edge of a swamp the ditches would just
fill up while they were digging them. I don't know if you have any
kind of a sump, doubt you have a basement, but about all you can do is
try to find things that will grow there that will utilize that type of
soil. Willows, Mangroves wouldn't grow without brackish water I
imagine, but .. have you talked to your County Extension agent..
master gardener.. or better.. see if you can talk to the actual agent
if at all possible to see if he/she knows about your area or knows
anyone else that has experience with that area. If the ground is
basically water logged clay there is going to be precious little that
can live in it except bog plants and the stuff that's living over
there in the swamp, might be time to look around there and see if
there are things you like. Get some pitcher plants and sundew! Find
any plants that could grow there, the more you get growing the more
moisture it can wick up out of the soil, the more it'll "sweeten" the
soil.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com