Old 01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Stan The Man

Default Beeb Chelsea coverage

In article , mich
wrote:

In this case we are dealing with the gardener, the garden designer and the
plantsman

In the former case ( flower arranging) the differences are quite technical
and revolve around type of work they do ( and in the case of the
professional the type of training and certification) and the context in
which they operate and their interests.

Probably the same is true of gardening.

I consider most of the historic "gardeners" on GW , up to and including AT
to be gardeners. I would also put Sarah raven and Gay Search in that group.

Joe swift, R.de T Chris Beardshaw, and most of the modern breed (
including Mr. D. Gavin and his over the garden fence neighbour in
conflict at Chelsea Bunny Guinness ( sp? Dont touch the stuff myself- as
in the famous Irish beer which no doubt Mr. Gavin loves even though he
doesn't agree with its namesake !) ;-) and such like to be garden designers.

Plantsmen ( and I believe AT is probably also a plantsman, as maybe several
others , although its not his main craft) are people like the bloke from
Great Dixter etc ( sorry cant remember his name)

I think there's an important distinction to be drawn between trained
and qualified horticulturists who become garden writers and TV
presenters and those who are self-taught. IIRC, AT, Joe Swift, RdeT,
Chris Beardshaw, James Alexander Sinclair and Sarah Raven have all
gained their diploma from the Royal Botanical Gardens School of
Horticulture or some other recognised teaching institution. I therefore
trust them. On the other hand, I do not think that Monty Don or
Diarmuid Gavin or Charlie Dimmock has any formal horticultural
training. In my book, they are 'winging it' based on their still
limited experience and hence, in terms of general garden programme
presentation, they are liable to make mistakes.

On the other side of the coin, it's no use being a TV presenter if you
can't speak the language or make the subject seem halfway interesting,
ie if you are not a good communicator. In this important respect, I
mark highly AT, James Alexander Sinclair, Monty Don and, to a degree,
Joe Swift. But DG, CD, CB and RdT are not very good communicators imho.
Why then have they got jobs on the telly? Because qualified,
knowledgeable, practical gardeners who can also string two words
together with modicum of coherence, enthusiasm and inspiration are as
rare as hen's teeth. As I have opined before, only AT and James
Alexander Sinclair are the finished article.

Simon