Old 01-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Anna Maize

Default Termites: Unwelcome Hitchhikers in Soil?

Daniel Phillips wrote:
I was at Wal Mart yesterday and basically had two choices of soil for
the plants I wanted to propagate: Expensive potting soil with
fertilizer and chemicals in it, possibly toxic for edibles, or
inexpensive Wal Mart organic potting soil.

But I figure that with organic soil, there would be more risk for
unwelcome guests such as insects or fungus. Particularly, I'm
wondering if termites could have hitched a ride in the soil. We don't
have a termite problem and I would hate to start one. I'll do my own
searching, but I would appreciate links about termites, termite
control and prevention (like how to keep them away from the house). I
saw a winged insect carrying off some soil. Think it was an ant,
though.

The soil is marketed by Wal Mart Associates and "guaranteed" by Swiss
Farms Products. The name of the brand is Garden Basics, the type is
General Purpose Soil. I'm in Alabama if that's any help, as the bag
also said that the packaging is "regional."

Daniel Phillips

[+]bandito[-]spam = [-]toppler.[+]zworg.com
Be warned, may mistakingly bounce back as spam.

Sounds like you're the kind of fellow who wants to play gardener, but
abhors the thought of getting your fingers dirty. Why don't you do us
all a big favor and commit suicide?