Old 01-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Rod

Default Silver Birch Trees

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:05:47 GMT, wheator
wrote:

Can anyone give me some idea on what's wrong with my young Silver Birch
please?

It was planted (by my house builders)

At a guess, I would say that's your problem. Not much you can do at
this time of year, so I wouls suggest you maintain it as best you can
by watering if required - but do take care not to let it stand in
water for long periods. If for example your builders just dug a small
hole in a clay soil you could have a situation like standing your tree
in a bucket of water. Next autumn you can dig up the tree and if it
still looks viable, then prepare a proper planting site and if it
looks as if drainage may be a problem fix it if you can or plant the
tree in a bit of a mound made up of good soil. If planting in a mound,
then note *in* a mound - not *on* a mound, it's important that the
root ball is covered by soil that isn't going to fall away or get
washed away, otherwise it will dry out during the summer - a common
cause of planting failures.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply