Old 02-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Phisherman

Default Garden fence recommendation?

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:40:40 -0400, Steve Gross
wrote:

I have an 8x8 foot vegetable garden. Plus lots of small animals that
eat my vegetables. I put up a chicken wire fence last year but that
didn't stop anything. I prefer not to dig a trench around my garden
to bury the chicken wire plus I'm not sure it would help any way. Are
there any recommendations for a commercial fence or do it yourself
that's easy to install but also goes in the ground a few inches?

Steve Gross
IT Manager
Fette America
(973) 586-8722

I used a few cedar logs (3-6" dia) at the bottom of the chicken wire
fence, then used a staple gun to fasten it. You could use white oak,
cypress, redwood, fence posts--other woods could be used but expect
rot in 2 or 3 years. Without the fence fixed to the ground, animals
will crawl and dig under it.