Old 02-06-2004, 03:09 AM
Rez

Default Dog feces in compost?

In article , Katra wrote:
Composting it for flower gardens and other inedibles is acceptable. :-)
Have you seen one of these?
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produc...1EETKN8AQ8GR7A
V1W4KJB1LL79X29

Um.. that's your session ID at the end, more likely you wanted
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/products.asp and then pick "waste
disposal" from the list to the lower left (javascript required).

This is created specifically for dealing with dog waste.
I'm seriously considering getting one. ;-)

professional dog breeder falls on floor laughing

Here's what I've found in 35 years in dogs (and I keep 30 to 40
Labradors, so I dispose of around 40 lbs. of dog shit per day).

Those waste disposal systems are more work than they're worth, and
prone to fail when the weather is too hot/too cold/too wet, because
they're not deep enough, and being essentially a little septic tank,
they need stable conditions to flourish.

If you are feeding a diet that is based on meat/corn/animal fat, the
stool will deteriorate from exposure to weather, over a period of
several months turning first into dry odorless lumps, then into white
crumbly stuff, then into ashlike stuff that disappears into the dirt.
The only way you can tell where it was is that in the spring, the
grass there is 3 feet high before the rest of it even gets going.

If you are feeding a diet based on chicken or lamb and rice with
chicken fat, don't bother -- it turns into smelly concrete-like lumps
that stay that way pretty much forever, except for losing some odor
over time. A full season of rain and crushing the lumps manually can
eventually turn them into crumbly stuff, but it never does turn into
really good fertilizer, nor become completely odorless.

Before the big shift to chicken/rice in the early 1980s, I could just
fling dog shit out into yonder field forever, and it just disappeared.
Now, I have to pack it to the trash and pay to get it hauled away,
because otherwise it just piles up and is a mess.

Note: the massive increase in skin "allergies" in dogs was exactly
concurrent with the shift away from meat/corn/animal-fat diets; such
problems were never seen in normal dogs (those without autoimmune
disorder) prior to the big diet shift. Draw your own conclusions.

~REZ~
http://www.longplainkennels.com
(or since the redirector seems to be down this week,
http://home.earthlink.net/~rividh/kennel/labrador.htm)