Old 02-06-2004, 03:12 AM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] When To Prune J Maple?

In a message dated 6/1/2004 10:58:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
I have a J maple whose branches are pretty much new this year (about 12-
18" long). Do I let them grow unpruned all year to gain thickness, or
shoudl I prune to limit new buds for later closer to the trunk, instead of
using energy for new buds developing away from the trunk that will
eventually go?
Jim:

It is more a matter of reaching the desired diameter of the branch than
allowing the shoots to grow unchecked. As a branch reaches the desired diameter,
cut back to the ideal length.

Also, once a branch starts to lignify, you should apply wire to achieve the
desirable form. You will find that actively growing maples quickly scar from
wire, so plan on removing the wire from the juvenile branches within a 2-3
month period.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://hometown.aol.com/iasnob