Old 02-06-2004, 04:04 AM
Rez

Default What are you growing this year?

In article , wrote:
On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:58:28 GMT,
(Rez)
wrote:

In article , DaveH

wrote:
I'm always interested to know what others are growing.

Weeds

Sounds like here! (I can't remember who is in Idaho,) but yeah it was
warm too warm Feb, March, and part of April, then it cooled off to
"normal" temps.

Yeah. We had no poppy season this year because of the early heat. On
the plus side, it also killed all the tumbleweed sprouts that weren't
in protected locations. So this year I've only about an acre of 'em to
pull instead of 10 acres (yes, I cleared it by hand... I should have
my head examined)

I'm mostly growing weeds too. Stuff in the barrels was doing pretty
well, flowers came up out there and in the strawberry barrels, and
now.. I'm growing ELM TREES!! There was about an inch of seeds stacked

Oh yes, we get those too. Elms normally do pretty well in the desert,
or did until we got 5 years of drought. All the mature elm trees
dry-rotted inside during the drought, so are gradually dying off or
keeling over. I have volunteer elms everywhere I don't want them.

up around the place, they were getting tracked in and if someone
spills water on the carpet somewhere, and light accidentally reaches
them I'd not doubt if they'd start growing in here too! Wouldn't be

I've actually seen that happen, where a chronically damp spot
indoors starts growing elm seedings.

BTW does anyone have some white ash seeds they'd part with? They will
grow here, but the real thing is hard to find. The nurseries only have
Modesto ash which I don't especially like. (Tho I have a tiny one in a
pot, that was pilfered from a parking lot.)

surprised, bind weed has found its way into the house more than once
where ghostly pale yellow green vines that blended in with the cabinet
color so didn't notice them until they were half way up the front
headed for the window in the kitchen, and in the laundry room it came
in the dryer vent hole and grew around the power line along the floor
to the dryer, and up the fishing pole and was headed for the string
that you pull to turn the light on! Guess it knew what to do!

LOL!! Yeah, I've seen weeds do that. You don't dare let much of
anything bigger than a petunia grow next to a building here tho, cuz
any woody roots left by last year's dead weeds will attract ground
termites so fast you wouldn't believe it. You can't leave anything
wooden lay on the ground for more than a week, or it gets infested.

But, I have solid elm tree seedlings in all the half whiskey barrel
planters, and they're in the walkways, anywhere there was dirt to grow
in because it started raining and it's rained just enough to keep the
soil damp enough for them to sprout. *sigh* I hate them sooooo! I

White ash seeds are like that in Montana

also have evil nasty asters all through the lawn in the back. I don't

Evil nasty asters? And here I only had one survivor from the ones I
tried to grow from seed (something kept eating them).

know how it got there, as I actually managed to pay someone to keep
everything mowed back there. Grape vines are too close to be spraying

I've got a grape vine in a pot that was a broken chunk from the
nursery, it grew big thick roots in a hurry and has just put out its
first new leaf. I have no idea what kind it is.

(They think you're weird when you gather all the broken pieces of
roses and such off the floor

around them. Should have just reseeded lawn .. had I known it was
going to rain so much.. it'd eventually choke them out! Well I can
dream can't I?!

Me too g

I hope to get a few tomato plants, a few buttercup squash vines since
the stores don't seem to carry them much these days, and when they do,
they want meat prices for them, and some peppers, zucchini, maybe some

Amazing, isn't it? Four bucks a pound for vegetables?!! I'm glad I'm
mostly a meat eater.

~REZ~