Old 02-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Victoria Clare

Default What insects will eat greenfly?

"Tumbleweed" wrote in
:

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
Hi.

What insects will eat greenfly (without then becoming pests
themselves)?
I know about ladybirds, but are there any others?

You will never get enough predatory insects to make a significant
impact on greenfly. Some people here say birds will eat them (like
tits and finches) however no one has told that to the said birds on my
garden who seem to ignore them.

This kind of thing does very much depend on what your neighbours are doing
and what the wider local wildlife situation is like.

I have few pest problems in my garden here in Cornwall, surrounded by non-
intensively-farmed fields and rather neglected woodland.

In my small Cheshire garden, I seemed to be waging constant and ineffective
war on all kinds of pests. I'm pretty sure this was because the local bird
population was tiny, and mostly pigeons!

I don't know if the fact that every other gardener seemed to have a garage
filled with chemical deterrants of various sorts was cause or effect -
maybe a bit of both.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill