Old 02-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Sacha

Default Little Cotoneaster lacteus

On 2/6/04 11:53, in article , "Glen
Able" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 2/6/04 9:58, in article , "Glen
Able" wrote:

I planted out a small Cotoneaster lacteus recently. Now allow to me to
expose my ignorance...

snip
Does it need the stake at all and, if so, do I need to replace it with a
bigger one?

It's not usually tied to stakes. The long arching branches are part of

its
growth habit and charm. snip

Hi Sacha,

Yes, the plant basically consists of half a dozen or so 1 foot stems, which
are all tied in tightly to the stake at a couple of points. I'm really not
sure what this is supposed to achieve.

So, d'you reckon I should untie it, shove a new bigger stake in and tie it
to that instead? This is part of a new informal hedge and the more natural
it looks the better.

It's a Cotoneaster used a lot for hedging so good choice! Do you think it
needs a stake to prevent it being blown over by the wind while the hedge is
growing? Only you know the situation it's going to be in.
I doubt it needs one if it's just the bamboo cane it's been tied to before
being sold. And yes, just untie the stems and let them do their own thing.
It sounds as if what you're describing is what the nursery or gc has done to
keep it from getting knocked over while standing in rows or to make it
easier to transport, perhaps.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk