Old 02-06-2004, 03:05 PM
GeneS

Default Best grass cover for a rocky area?

We want to make a new lawn suitable for the kids to play on.
We worry about the hardness of the rocky soil. There
is no lawn at this time, only a thin layer of top soil over rock.

Here are the conditions:
1. The soil is only ~ 2" deep, with a LOT of rock underneath.
2. We have a limited amount of water for irrigation.
(Small rural water well.)
3. We do not want to haul in a lot of expensive top soil.
4. Ideally, we need a grass that will grow under the above conditions.
5. We do not require a conventional grass, just something
to keep the kids from hurting themselves when they fall.
6. The area is about one acre in size.

We have planted Bermuda seed & it seems to be doing ok, but
we are skeptical that it will ever do well.

Buffalo Grass?

Any suggestions? :-)

Gene