Old 02-06-2004, 03:09 PM
martin

Default Fern health risk ?

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:01:48 +0100, klara
wrote:

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
Depends where you are. If there are deer about, Lyme disease is not
rare. Very often it is not recognised though. (And near here we have
red, roe and muntjack, and I've seen fallow and sika not ten miles
away. Not a lot of bracken though.)

I lived in the Eastern US in the sixties, and there was very little Lyme
disease there then. In the years since then it has proliferated - I know
at least a half-dozen people who have had it and were incapacitated for
long periods, including two teenagers who spent a year each in
wheelchairs. So, yes, worth worrying about. (

There were about 250 cases reported in UK last year, it's often not
recognised by the professionals. Part of the increase reported is due
to increasing awareness of Lyme's disease.