Old 02-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Tumbleweed

Default plants sales - chelsea/hampton ct

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from (pete_J-T) contains these words:

When show plants are sold on the last day at these shows... well...
how cheap/expensive are they??

Garden centre prices? Or are they throwing them away??

Years ago Chelsea's Friday afternoon sale used to be dirt cheap or
literally give-away; I remember getting a wonderful double white
trillium for 20 p, and having ophiopogon nigrescens (rare then)snatched
as I was about to pay for it, by some wretched woman who rammed a coin
into the seller's outstretched hand and ran off. But last time I was
there a lot of the plants being sold were everyday ones, often already
reserved and being sold at full catalogue price. I wouldn't recommend
paying full prices for ex-display plants. Bear in mind, many of them
have been artificially forced or held back, kept in a hot marquee for a
week, and will need TLC when you get them home.

I've not heard that Hampton Court does a last-day sale of display
plants; maybe someone else knows. Unlike Chelsea, plants are for sale on
the spot all through the show.

It does (or at least, it did the last time I was there 2 or 3 years ago, and
I'll be there again last day this year so I'm expecting (hoping) it still
does.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address