Old 02-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Katra

Default RFI: When and how to collect and plant Mtn. Laurel seeds

In article ,
escapee wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:29:05 -0500, Katra
opined:

Right now I'm trying to propagate the local wild perennial chiles by
cuttings. :-) 2 of the 5 I did look good, I mist them daily and have a
greenhouse. I'll probably do more as the bush I have is very large so
can spare a few twigs. G

Hummmmmm... even if one out of ten cuttings took, it' be worth the
effort. Rooting compound is cheap. ;-)

Maybe I'll give it a shot, (there are some ML trees out in front of the
local HEB) and report back in a few weeks.

Having a greenhouse is GREAT! :-) I can get soooo much more done. My
Orchid cactus (Epiphilium) is going insane putting out new pads so I'll
be able to propagate a bunch of those for resale, and I have a large
number of little baby Peruvian Torch cacti coming up from seeds. That is
a first time for me, being able to sprout cactus from seeds...... :-)
PT seeds are not cheap either.

Sorry! I'm rambling. :-P

I highly recommend these greenhouses! The 8' x 8' is very affordable and
they are not as flimsy as they look. They have already been thru one
heavy storm with no damage:

http://www.propools.com/cgi-bin/Soft.../greenhouses/d
reamhouse.htm?E+scstore

K.

Yes, please do report back on those cuttings.

Soitenly! ;-D

Been trying to get daddums interested in propagating local xeriscaping
plants for profit. He's 72, bored to tears and has been envious of my
ebay biz and the extra money it brings in. I've been trying to find a
profitable hobby for him since he'd like to make a little extra pocket
change. Horticulture can be immensley profitable if you find the right
venue.

I do have a 10x20 greenhouse, so know what you are talking about.

Ain't it grand??? ;-D

This year
sold plants to The Natural Gardener and next year I will have a much better
selection for sale. It does help that I was a professional grower when I
lived
up in New York (where I lived most of my life).

I've had a couple of botany courses and worked for one of my botany
prof's as his lab assistant, so learned a lot about propagation from
him. I also have a couple of excellent books on the subject. I'll go
re-read the chapter on propagation of woody perennials. G I'm
thinking about attempting air layering with the chile.

The local gardenville said that they'd be interested in local
xeriscaping (native) plants, so I want to really give that a shot. I
need to talk to the nursery a bit more as well as the local extension
office to see what people really want for landscaping, then go from
there. Saves a lot on WATER!!!

Wonder if anyone wants Muscadine grapes? lol The fence is covered well
now and I'm fixin' to have to start pruning it back!

Victoria

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...