Old 02-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Ignoramus15978

Default Composting food waste

In article , Travis wrote:
Ignoramus15978 wrote:
Much of our food waste I give to my chickens, but some (mostly
vegetable scraps) I do not. Those, I would like to somehow compost. I
already have a compost pile for chicken bedding (leaves and grass),
more leaves and grass. I am reluctant to throw food stuff in that pile
due to raccoons and other pests.

For now, I decided to simply dump these wastes into a garbage bin with
a nice closeable lid that cannot be removed by raccoons, hopeing that
it will rot in time, and that then I will add it to the compost pile
when it finally rots. I read exciting things about worm composting, is
it worth the trouble?

Or, maybe, I can store food scraps in the bin, and when I turn over the
pile, I would dump them into the middle of the pile?

Why not give the veggie scraps to the chickens?

I don't think they eat them...