Old 02-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Graybyrd

Default Composting food waste

In article ,
Ignoramus15978 wrote:

Much of our food waste I give to my chickens, but some (mostly
vegetable scraps) I do not. Those, I would like to somehow compost. I
already have a compost pile for chicken bedding (leaves and grass),
more leaves and grass. I am reluctant to throw food stuff in that pile
due to raccoons and other pests.

For now, I decided to simply dump these wastes into a garbage bin with
a nice closeable lid that cannot be removed by raccoons, hopeing that
it will rot in time, and that then I will add it to the compost pile
when it finally rots. I read exciting things about worm composting, is
it worth the trouble?

Or, maybe, I can store food scraps in the bin, and when I turn over the
pile, I would dump them into the middle of the pile?

Both answers are correct.

1. Toss the vegetable scraps in the chicken run. They will peck and
scratch through the scraps they like. The scraps will dehydrate and mix
with chicken litter, and when you scoop it up for the compost pile, the
scraps will be integrated. We did this for years. It was a happy
solution.

2. Scoop a hole in the compost pile, dump in the vegetable scraps, and
cover with compost. The scraps will quickly begin breaking down. If
everything is enclosed inside the bin, the racoon invasion should be
minor, as long as the scraps are covered.

3. Letting the scraps accumulate in a closed container is the least
desirable option. They will not have a chance to dehydrate, and you'll
wind up with a sloppy rotten stinking mess.
--
Reply to: allen-at-graybyrd.net