Old 02-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Douglas

Default What insects will eat greenfly?

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
Hi.

What insects will eat greenfly (without then becoming pests
themselves)?
I know about ladybirds, but are there any others?

How do I either encourage ladybirds into my garden or breed them
myself? Ditto any other useful insects.

TIA, Jeff

*********
It has been my experience that ladybirds are completely ineffective in
greenfly control.
The problem is that I have never ever seen a plethora of ladybirds anywhere,
so when you look at a preponderance of greenfly on plants and the zero
effect the efforts of half a dozen ladybirds I can assure you that the
statement is a myth. In fact, I have observed ladybirds at "work" resting
on an infested leaf but I have never seen a ladybird scoff a greenfly. I
have never seen more than half a dozen at any one time. Can it be that
persons other than I have seen swarms of them?. I certainly have seen
swarms of green and blackfly many times. I most certainly have seen mnay
times swarms of ants collecting greenfly and toting them down the stems to
their storage underground crypts where they use them as milch cows.
Doug.
********