Old 02-06-2004, 10:36 PM
wheator wheator is offline
Registered User

Location: Cardiff
Default Silver Birch Trees

Quote:
Originally posted by Spider
wheator wrote in message
s.com...
Cheers Spider........All sounds like good helpful advice, and I'll do anything to try and save it. Thanks again.

Rob

It was planted (by my house builders) 6 months ago - it's in a bit of
an exposed area subjected to occasional strong westerlies - it's about
8-10 feet high and it survived the winter with new leaves opening up
this spring. However over the past week I've noticed an increasing
number of yellow leaves (almost like autumn - already) - Is this
normal, and if not does anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong with
it? - I've regularly watered it; it's also securely staked.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

ROb
--
wheator

Hello Rob,
I can't disagree with anything the others have said, but I would add that
Birches prefer a slightly acidic soil. I believe they can be tolerant of
neutral soils. However, since your garden was recently a building site, I
would be inclined to suggest that the soil is too limey. The soil is also
likely to be compacted, making it difficult for your birch to establish its
roots in the surrounding clay.
If you can, improve the soil with organic matter and add some lime-free
horticultural grit. This will start to open up the soil structure.
Although I wouldn't normally recommend feeding a sick plant, in this case I
suggest you add an ericaceous (acid) feed when you water.
My own birch tree, planted next to a newish concrete path (before I new
better!), has really improved over recent years, so yours should be in with
a chance.
Since your location is particularly windy, it may also help to spray the
leaves with water (rain water, not tap water) to limit transpiration whilst
the roots are settling in. (Transpiration: water loss through leaves ...
natural, but problematic when the roots are unable to replace the lost water
quickly enough).
Hope this helps. Good luck with your tree.
Spider