Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Richard Cline

Default Avocado Tree

I would not be confident about getting good fruit from an avocado raised
from a seed. Sometimes a seed will produce a fruitful tree but most all
the avocados grown in California are grafted. In fact, many of them are
double grafted. They start a seed, then graft on the bearing stock,
followed by grafting on the preferred rootstock.

If you really want fruit, purchase a tree from a nursery.

Dick

Boelkowj wrote:
I planted a tree maybe 7 yrs ago here in San Diego from a seed. Will it
bear
fruit? I think it is a small unusual type Avocado maybe from Mexico. We
bought
the fruit at a grocery store and I remember that it had a very buttery
exotic
sort of texture not like the typical avocado purchased here in San
Diego. The
tree looks very healthy but no flowers at all. What can I expect?
Thanks.

Larry