Old 03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Dave Smith

Default What insects will eat greenfly?

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
m...

Hi.

What insects will eat greenfly (without then becoming pests
themselves)?
I know about ladybirds, but are there any others?

How do I either encourage ladybirds into my garden or breed them
myself? Ditto any other useful insects.

TIA, Jeff

You will never get enough predatory insects to make a significant impact on
greenfly. Some people here say birds will eat them (like tits and finches)
however no one has told that to the said birds on my garden who seem to
ignore them.

I recently saw small nesting type boxes screwed to 12 inch long sticks.
Instead of the usual 1" hole in the front for the bird to fly through
the box was enclosed except for several holes (approx. 6mm dia) drilled
through the front. Apparantly, the sticks are placed in the borders
over Autumn and Winter for ladybirds to nest in and then stuck in the
ground in greenhouses in the Spring to feed on aphids.
Simple but clever though not sure how effective they are.
Dave
Dave