Old 03-06-2004, 03:04 AM
simy1

Default Composting food waste

Travis wrote in message . ..
For now, I decided to simply dump these wastes into a garbage bin with
a nice closeable lid that cannot be removed by raccoons, hopeing that
it will rot in time, and that then I will add it to the compost pile
when it finally rots. I read exciting things about worm composting, is
it worth the trouble?

Or, maybe, I can store food scraps in the bin, and when I turn over the
pile, I would dump them into the middle of the pile?

This is what I do, I store the kitchen scraps in a can until they rot,
then add them to the compost pile. The rodent and raccoon situation
has noticeably improved compared to when I added them directly to the
compost. I also add some brown material (leaves or wood chips), it
does three things: kitchen scraps compost is a bit too strong fir
plants, and specially the leaves mellow it, the brown material absorbs
the excess nitrogen, so the compost is more fertile, and it strongly
reduces bad smell. The only con is that this way the trash can needs
emptying thrice as often.