Old 03-06-2004, 03:11 AM
fitwell

Default How does spinach grow, pls? Request for some info re spinach.

On 2 Jun 2004 04:48:27 -0700, (aj) wrote:

Hello Fitwell
Good luck with the indoor growing. It's great when things start
growing, isn't it.
Just an idea... A few years ago, I grew some "perpetual spinach".
It's not a true spinach. It's a type of beet, but looks and tastes
the same. It lasted ages. I just picked a few leaves when I needed
them, then they grew back. Maybe you could grow some in a flower pot.
I didn't have any problems with them.
I've been growing Nasturtiums in pots this year. The leaves taste
like watercress. They're in the same family. Easy to grow as well.
Just had some on my cheese and pickle sandwich.

That's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. I have beet seeds
and some lettuces that I'll try, too. I'm just concerned with getting
the darkest in right now due to iron deficiency (related to
hypothyroidism). I'm not bothered by the oxalic acid issue simply
because I don't eat enough spinach or even other greens on a
consistent basis to be worried. But I'm tired of buying those salads
in bags and having to pick through the parts that go bad very quickly,
too!

This is so exciting. I've lived in this apt for 7 years but unlike
other apartments I've lived in, growing conditions are bad here -
insufficient light, slightly on the damp side. The new growing centre
is working wonderfully, though, with fluorescents! It's not like the
jungle I had when I lived in a south-facing apt, but sure is the best
I've seen since then! g

I'll have to give the beets a try. That was one of the things in my
store-bought salad today. Nasturtiums sound interesting, too!
Anything that grows in a pot and that doesn't spread too horribly will
work!

(Yum re the sandwich! It's making me hungry! lol).

Di.

Cheers
AJ