Old 03-06-2004, 04:02 AM
telic

Default Chipmonks - How to get rid of them?

I trap and relocate mine with a Havahart™ live trap.

Live traps are essentially cages that trap and hold the animal without
injury until it is released. It has doors at either end that fall shut
when the animal steps on the release plate in the middle of the trap.

They come in various sizes. In the case of chipmunks, a small one (18" x
5" x 5") is fine. Just set the trap near where they are active, bait it
something they like such as peanut butter or peanuts and when you catch
one move it promptly to a new home and release. Be sure to check the
trap regularly so the ones you get don't stay confined too long.

I take mine to a large public park about a mile and a half away ... far
enough so they don't find their way home and big enough so they can make
themselves at home.

After having had a severe infestation one year when I moved 12 of the
little darlings, I find that if I just use the trap every 2-3 years and
move relatively few chipmunks, the population stays below a level where
they do much damage.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:56:46 -0400, "Jim Schott"
wrote:

My wife has a large flower garden (about 30' x 40') that chipmonks have
declared to be their home!

With all the gardeners and collective wisdom in this group, there must be a
method that works -- even if it takes a lot of work. Please post any words
of wisdom on how to rid the area of chipmonks. Thanks!