Old 03-06-2004, 05:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Do you know the percent of water change?

I suppose if the water you're adding in has some salt in it, you may very
well have to take that into account. Good catch, Lee. No detectable ambient
level here, thank goodness, because.....

The math though is throwing me, but I think you're right, take the .02 away
from the after-the-change number, if you don't it wouldn't look like you
took any water at all, would it? Now I'm starting to hear "Zooms" around my
head. ;o) ~ jan

On 2 Jun 2004 07:45:09 -0500, "Lee B." wrote:

Would the water's ambient salt level make any difference? IOW, if the
ambient level is .02, it would need to be subtracted from the .11, leaving
.09. Therefore, 13-9 = 4/13 = ~31. A 31% water change would have been
closer to what you "thought" it was, instead of 15%. Or am I full of "it"
again? Math was never my forte. I don't know if it would make a difference
or not.

Lee

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
ws.com...
Glad you liked it. I do wonder how many folks this went "Zoom" over their
heads or felt like, Ponds, Math, Huh? ;o) VBEG ~ jan

jan, the "divided by 13" comes from your beginning figure of .13? Kewl!

Lee

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
ws.com...
I did a water change today and thought I'd do a salt check before and
after. Before the change I had a salt level of .13%, after I had .11%.
Bascially doing a little more than a 15% water change out. (13 - 11 =

2, 2
divided by 13 equals .154 or 15.4%) Surprised me. Here I though I was
doing
between 20-25%.

So for those of us who don't have perfectly straight walled, flat

bottom
ponds who could calculate their water change % in feet (or inches)

i.e., 4
ft of pond, drain down 1' equals a 25% change out. Here is another way

use your salt test measurements. ;o) ~ jan