Old 03-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Janice

Default Composting food waste

On 2 Jun 2004 17:21:44 GMT, Ignoramus15978
wrote:

Much of our food waste I give to my chickens, but some (mostly
vegetable scraps) I do not.

why do you not give the vegetable scraps to the chickens? They LOVE
greens and they are sort of piranha with feathers, they'll eat
anything pretty much. Saw a silver lace wyandott hen chase down a
mouse, nab the sucker and swallow it whole, head first! Just one step
up from the reptiles they came from! ;-)

They'll eat and process anything you give them (short of avocado, fat,
chocolate, and pineapple I'd skip those since those were no-nos for
other birds). Then you wouldn't need to worry about it stinking in a
can, or raccoons getting it, and the beta carotene in the veggies will
make the yolks darker in the eggs! They love your garden weeds and
thinnings too. Skip the nightshade and other poisonous weeds and
tomatoes and potatoes and rhubarb leaves of course!

Janice

Those, I would like to somehow compost. I
already have a compost pile for chicken bedding (leaves and grass),
more leaves and grass. I am reluctant to throw food stuff in that pile
due to raccoons and other pests.

For now, I decided to simply dump these wastes into a garbage bin with
a nice closeable lid that cannot be removed by raccoons, hopeing that
it will rot in time, and that then I will add it to the compost pile
when it finally rots. I read exciting things about worm composting, is
it worth the trouble?

Or, maybe, I can store food scraps in the bin, and when I turn over the
pile, I would dump them into the middle of the pile?