Old 03-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Janice

Default Missing fish in pond

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 04:15:21 GMT, Kayla wrote:

Thanks for all your replies and you had some good suggestions. The
fish are or were bass. If they died then they would be floating. The
deep end is about 10 feet. We haven't seen a snapping turtle. That
was just a thought. Other years at this time we always saw them
swimming around because they do come for their food.
We will look into getting the water tested. There are a lot of trees
around. The pond is 20 years old and the fish have been in there that
long. I threw some worms in today and there just is no activity in
the pond. Another thing we noticed. The frogs are back. We haven't
heard frogs for the last few years.

Lori

Bass probably ate them before. or their spawn. There are all kinds
of things that can go wrong with fish, could be an illness befell
them, a fungus can wipe them out, and .. the fish don't always float
when they die. Temperature of water matters.. it's rapid decay that
creates internal gasses that make them float, if they die in the
winter, when there was ice on the water, could have floated and sunk
too.

There are no absolutes. Good luck in determining the health of your
water, and perhaps put a mix of fish in, catfish, bluegill, or
crappie, or both.. pumpkin seeds whatever will live there along with
bass if you like them. Or.. grow koi.. man those things are spendy,
could be a cash crop!! Even ones that aren't super duper wonderful go
for $10 and up when they attain a fair size. Bronze the first year or
so. But put them in, they will grow and multiply! And they're purty
and can become quite personable ;-)

Janice

On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:26:34 GMT, Kayla wrote:

We have a large pond and have 3 generations of fish which we feed
daily. Last year 10 surfaced in the spring and we assumed they died
of lack of air so this winter we made sure that air holes in the ice
were kept open. This year we have not seen one fish. NONE!! There
were about 200 fish last year. The neighbour put in a few bass one
year and they have multiplied over the years. How could that many
fish disappear without a trace? Would a snapping turtle clean out a
pond? The pond is about 50 x 100 feet. We are completely puzzled.

Lori