Old 03-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Chris Solo

Default [IBC] When To Prune J Maple?

Being a newbie I have question that is probably obvious, but here I go
anyway. After cutting back the branches do you apply any cut paste?
Chris S.
Zone 5
Hoping that the sky will run out of rain for a week or so =)

From: "Jim Sc"

My maple has thick, a developed trunk, and all the branches this year are
new. So they are obviously rather thin. That is why I assumed I should
probably let them grow unchecked all year, to gain as much thickness as
possible this year. Against that factor would be going for shorter
internodal distance, which pruning would induce.

So since I probably need to gain some girth for the branches, I'm guessing
let them grow? Is that right, or do most do some pruning even in the
first year of branch develpment?

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: