Old 03-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Karen Fletcher

Default Chipmonks - How to get rid of them?

Jim Schott wrote:
: My wife has a large flower garden (about 30' x 40') that chipmonks have
: declared to be their home!
: There are small tunnels that literally have spread all over the garden. We
: have tryed to block the tunnels; we've have used fork shovels and "stabbed"
: the dirt all along the tunnels; we've found their entrances and exits and
: filled them with "special" formulated food laced with chipmonk poison.

: Nothing has worked. We're now worried that the colony may start eating
: roots and underground bulbs. The only thing we know of, but not tryed, is a
: slow burning gas bomb that you put into a tunnel that shows a lot of
: activity.

: With all the gardeners and collective wisdom in this group, there must be a
: method that works -- even if it takes a lot of work. Please post any words
: of wisdom on how to rid the area of chipmonks. Thanks!

Figure out if it's a chipmunk or a ground squirrel, with some species,
it's easy to confuse them.

Here's a useful list of species by state:
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/ra...squirrels.html

eNature has useful online field guides:
http://enature.com/search/show_searc...5&shapeID=1041

I have 13-lined ground squirrels around the farm and garden and haven't
found them to be particularly destructive to perennials or trees and
shrubs. I do select rodent-resistant bulbs when I plant bulbs, but more
because of the voles than the ground squirrels.

-- Karen

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002