Old 03-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Katra

Default Dog feces in compost?

In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

I have two huge GSDs and a springer spaniel, so lots of dog crap here

too. I
wish I could find something fool proof to do with it - particularly this
week as some nerk has stolen my wheelie bin !! (I'm in the UK - for

anyone
who doesn't know what a wheelie bin is - it's a big trash bin you set
outside every week with your trash bags in it to be put in the garbage
lorry. I expect it will be a week or so before the council will bring me

new one). So my poor little temporary dog shite bin in the back garden

is
full to overflowing ....ick.

Rachael

Composting it for flower gardens and other inedibles is acceptable. :-)

Have you seen one of these?

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produc...1EETKN8AQ8GR7A
V1W4KJB1LL79X29

This is created specifically for dealing with dog waste.
I'm seriously considering getting one. ;-)

The link is causing me some difficulty but a poke around on the site reveals
something called a Dog Dooley - is that what you mean ?

Yes, that is what the link was pointing to. :-)
I should have done a tinyURL, sorry!

I have often
wondered if they work - my dad had four poodles (two standards, two smaller)
and he bought something similar. But he said it couldn't keep up with it -
though to be honest, it didn't look nearly as capable as this sort of thing.
Any ideas what the "digester" powder stuff does and what it looks like when
it's done ?

The Dooley is a bit small I think if you have multiple dogs... I've
considered building a larger one for myself, maybe out of cinder blocks.
I don't see why I could not build a mini underground septic tank and
just buy the digestive powders sold at the home store for regular septic
tanks.

The powders usually contain specific bacteria that is beneficial for
composting. Home septic tank systems usually benefit from a similar
product.

K.

Rachael

--