Old 03-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Franz Heymann

Default What insects will eat greenfly?

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 2/6/04 16:21, in article

,
"Tumbleweed" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip They feed on the peanuts in winter and
adults
will take them now, too but we often see them with their beaks

stuffed
with
'wrigglers' to take to their babies.

if you can see them wriggling, then either your birds are

remarkably tame
and let you get within 6 inches, or the wrigglers are not

greenfly!

They are *extremely* tame not to say downright over-familiar! They

whizz
past our noses, literally inches away - a chaffinch nearly hit me on

the
head yesterday as we both went through the same doorway!

But chaffinches are not particularly good at demolishing greenfly.

Two years ago, my
stepson left his fleece hanging from a wire in the greenhouse and

forgot it
overnight. Next morning, a wren was building a nest in the collar,

so he
couldn't use that for a while. And another wren built a nest in

some bits
and pieces of equipment stored a couple of feet above a potting

bench where
there is always someone at work.
These last two years a wren has built her nest *under* a potting

bench in
one of the houses and happily flits in and out, whoever is there.
The small double has a lot of stuff actually planted in it, and one

side is
a great long bank of Fuchsias. People are walking up and down past

them all
day choosing bedding plants etc. and those Fuchsias get many nests

in them.
Cake and bread crumbs from the tea room go into a cardboard box in

the big
double and birds flock to that. It's only inches away from the till

and
there are people moving around constantly, walking past it, watching

the
birds and so forth.
They hop onto tables while customers are eating - some flap them

away - most
watch in fascination. They hop onto the table in the greenhouse

when the
staff are having their morning coffee and cake and if you put your

cake down
for a second, they're onto it like lightning! The water trough in

the
garden has a small fountain in it and customers sitting at the

tables nearby
often find themselves taking part in some bird's bath time, like it

or not!

Apart from their own kind, there are no predators here, no cats and

those
that visited were seen off by our Jack Russells. In fact, one of

the
comments we get so often from customers is what pure joy it is both

to hear
the birdsong and see them come so close to people. It does give a

huge
feeling of privilege.

I agree entirely, except that the birds you mention do not actually
eat greenfly and blackfly to any noticeable extent.

Franz