Old 03-06-2004, 04:16 PM
martin

Default Fern health risk ?

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:16:05 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:48:25 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Douglas" wrote in message

"Kev" wrote in message
While sat in the garden the other day, my father noticed a fern
and warned
me that he has seen something on television stating that one or
more types
were a risk to children's eyesight. Did anyone else see this

or
have an
opinion ?

see www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/bps/siman.pdf for health risks from
bracken spores

Thanks
*********************
Don't know, but if you're going up the fells keep away from the
bracken.
Sometimes the stuff's riddled with nasty ticks.

Surely you don't begrudge the little ticks their dindins?

Lyme Disease is carried by ticks.
An infectious disease caused by a bacterium which is spread to

humans
by tick bites. It is characterised initially by an expanding red

rash
at the site of the bite often accompanied by headache, muscle and
joint aches and fever.

It occurs throughout Europe (including the UK), the United States,
Coastal regions of Australia, China and Japan where it is confined

wooded regions.

Awful. Does all that mean I must approach a fell covered with bracken
only when wearing a waterproof surfers' suit?

I think the advice is not too at the time the spoors are being
released.

Repellents containing DEET have been found to be useful but if an
embedded tick is discovered, slowly pulling it out with tweezers is
the best method of removal

As children, we were taught never to try that with a tick, as you may
leave part of it embedded in your skin. We were instructed to let the
tick be in peace until you have access to some paraffin. Liberally
dousing the tick and its surroundings is said to suffocate it to the
extent of pulling out, thus allowing you to shake it on to the floor.

I was taught the same.

Never having been attacked by a tick, I cannot vouch for its efficacy.

I'd never seen a tick until I moved to the Netherlands, our two cats
regularly get ticks, perhaps it explains, why they are so dim compared
to cats I had in UK?