Old 03-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Tim Challenger

Default Fern health risk ?

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:16:05 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

As children, we were taught never to try that with a tick, as you may
leave part of it embedded in your skin. We were instructed to let the
tick be in peace until you have access to some paraffin. Liberally
dousing the tick and its surroundings is said to suffocate it to the
extent of pulling out, thus allowing you to shake it on to the floor.
Never having been attacked by a tick, I cannot vouch for its efficacy.

That's the last thing that's recommended here (Austria) where they have a
major tick presence. The tick will often die before it falls out, leaving
you with the same problem, but worsened because the head is then more
likely to come off in the skin than when it's alive.

The way recommended here by the doctors I've asked *is* to remove the tick
with tweezers or fingernails (if it's big enough) by pushing and twisting,
very much like a UK bayonet light-bulb fitting.
--
Tim C.