Old 03-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Fern health risk ?

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| As children, we were taught never to try that with a tick, as you may
| leave part of it embedded in your skin. We were instructed to let the
| tick be in peace until you have access to some paraffin. Liberally
| dousing the tick and its surroundings is said to suffocate it to the
| extent of pulling out, thus allowing you to shake it on to the floor.
| Never having been attacked by a tick, I cannot vouch for its efficacy.

I have, often, and I can vouch for its efficiency - negatively.

You will get part of the tick embedded, whatever you do, and
it will itch like hell and may swell up. But, in most places,
ticks are more common in grassland than anywhere else (and the
UK is no exception).

Back in Oz, when I was a child I got a tick in my eye. The parents
applied the kerosene treatment, and out it came intact. I take it the
thing hadn't dug in very thoroughly. I don't remember the kerosene
causing much discomfort.

Mike.