Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 AM
David J Bockman

Default Cutting Back Yew...

Yew are one of the only conifers that can pop buds on completely defoliated
branches-- however, they have to be in good health and it has to be done at
the right time of year. I would recommend doing it in stages, pruning into
hard wood each early spring just as the buds begin to swell.

Dave

"Felder" wrote in message

Howdy all. I have several yew which have grown to about 3ft. tall and
wide. I would like to cut these back to a much smaller size (~2ft.)
except if I do much of the yew will only have bare wood exposed with
little or no growth on it.

Question: how long will it take yew to have new growth on bare wood?
Years, months, weeks? Not sure of the variety, but it is dense and
rounded. Also, in zone 5. I have read where rejuvenating yew takes a few
years for new growth, but I am not cutting that far in.

Any input appreciated.
-Felder