Old 04-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Rez

Default Old Seeds

In article , (EvelynMcH) wrote:
But also really neat thread re germinating. The garage experiment
sounds neat, too! Hope that the seeds come up nice!

Well, so far, the zinnias, pansies and one or two tomatoes have germinated. I
don't know what the percentage is, just that some of it did. Nothing on the
marigolds, impatiens, basil or the rest, but they usually take a few more days
anyway. Given that my first impulse was to toss them all out, I'm ahead of
things I think!

I posted about this before, but if I repeat myself, very well, I
repeat myself

I'd saved a bunch of seeds from a special gazinnia, but it was over 10
years before I had a place to plant them. And from the first attempt
-- NONE came up. So the next year, figuring they were mostly dead, I
planted all the rest -- and HUNDREDS came up (far as I could tell,
100%).

I've had something similar happen with my long-stored marigold seeds
-- one year I got hardly any coming up; the next year, from the same
seed stash, I got a bloody forest of marigolds.

So now I don't despair; sometimes stuff just doesn't sprout, but that
doesn't *necessarily* mean the seed is dead.

~REZ~