Old 04-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Tim Fierro

Default 1/4 Acre; I hate to mow it!

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Tim Fierro wrote:
I just moved and the back of my property is about 1/4 acre and I had to

rent
a brush mower to mow it down. The grass was a combination of grass,

some
blackberry bushes, holes, crevices, and bare patches in areas. It

basically
looked like a field and this was the first time I was able to mow it

since
moving here.

For just 1/4 acre, get a high-wheel push mower. You've already cut it
all down once with a brush hog, it will be easier now and the grass will
take over if you keep it mowed. Get some dirt to fill the ruts and
holes and sprinkle on some grass seed if you want. If the weeds and
blackberries keep coming back, get a sprayer and some 2,4-d weed killer
(and be careful with it.)

Bob,

Thank you for the reply and the advice. Still considering a riding mower
though as there is another 1/4 acre out front that does have grass. Dirt
and seed, as well as massaging the ground to be a little bit level is easy;
so will end up doing that.

But I have to wonder about the grass clippings that are now on the area, and
the blackberry area. Should I take off the clippings and get back to bare
grass underneath these clippings, or allow those clippings to disintegrate
onto the existing areas? For the blackberry area, also where one of the
bigger holes area; would it be prudent to put down some form of vegetation
(blackberry) killer in that area, then add dirt to fill the hole? After
hole is filled, will grass seed grow with the veggie killer 12" underneath
it while still helping to kill the blackberries underneath?

--

Tim Fierro *
Licensed Real Estate Agent & Private Investor