Old 04-06-2004, 06:03 AM
zxcvbob

Default 1/4 Acre; I hate to mow it!

Tim Fierro wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Tim Fierro wrote: I just moved and the back of my property is
about 1/4 acre and I had to

rent

a brush mower to mow it down. The grass was a combination of
grass,

some

blackberry bushes, holes, crevices, and bare patches in areas.
It

basically

looked like a field and this was the first time I was able to mow
it

since

moving here.

For just 1/4 acre, get a high-wheel push mower. You've already cut
it all down once with a brush hog, it will be easier now and the
grass will take over if you keep it mowed. Get some dirt to fill
the ruts and holes and sprinkle on some grass seed if you want. If
the weeds and blackberries keep coming back, get a sprayer and some
2,4-d weed killer (and be careful with it.)

Bob,

Thank you for the reply and the advice. Still considering a riding
mower though as there is another 1/4 acre out front that does have
grass. Dirt and seed, as well as massaging the ground to be a little
bit level is easy; so will end up doing that.

But I have to wonder about the grass clippings that are now on the
area, and the blackberry area. Should I take off the clippings and
get back to bare grass underneath these clippings, or allow those
clippings to disintegrate onto the existing areas?

How much clippings are we talking about? Maybe let them dry out, then
mow again to disintegrate them? You don't want to shade out the grass,
but in general leaving the clippings is a good thing.

For the blackberry area, also where one of the bigger holes area;
would it be prudent to put down some form of vegetation (blackberry)
killer in that area, then add dirt to fill the hole? After hole is
filled, will grass seed grow with the veggie killer 12" underneath it
while still helping to kill the blackberries underneath?

That's why I said 2,4-d. It doesn't kill grass. Twelve inches? Just
bury it and spray it *if* if comes back and survives being mowed again.

Bob