Old 04-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Tim Challenger

Default Fern health risk ?

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:22:49 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 3/6/04 20:06, in article
, "Tim Challenger"
"tim(dot)challenger("@)tele2dotat wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:54:53 +0200, martin wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:21:42 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

The way recommended here by the doctors I've asked *is* to remove the tick
with tweezers or fingernails (if it's big enough) by pushing and twisting,
very much like a UK bayonet light-bulb fitting.

You can buy a tool for removing ticks.

Yes, I've seen them, but never actually had a good look, or used one. Sort
of biro-shaped thing with a spring-loaded builtin tweezer that grips the
tick right at skin level.

Brushing e.g. Olive oil over them is supposed to smother them and achieve
the desired result.

But as I said before, that's not generally recommended nowadays, except as
an old wives' tale. It's now generally not recommended to smother them as
1) they can die first before letting go and you still have the problem, and
even then they may not die, and 2) smothering them can often make them
regurgitate the contents of their guts, not what you really want.

For example:
http://www.lyme.org/ticks/removal.html
http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdise...6699--,00.html
and in German: