Old 04-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Stan The Man

Default Beeb Chelsea coverage

In article , tuin man
wrote:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message

In related areas, if someone is fixing my gas boiler, my teeth, my new
extension, my domestic wiring, my blood pressure, etc, I'm going to
find someone who, first and foremost, is properly qualified to do the
job. If they are also experienced, so much the better.

Simon

And there's the catch; "properly qualified" and how that is to be
interpreted. Many people start off as teachers for a course on a subject
that had seemed to be waiting for them to come along and open the door, yet
they themselves never become the course's post graduates in the real sense.

Would that make them unqualified?
And therefore not acceptable to you?

Patrick

Probably not. Perhaps one reason for our declining education standards
is that too many teachers teach without having achieved their degree
and teachers' training qualifications. I know there will be exceptions
but in general we need a way to tell whether we can happily entrust our
children's education to certain institutions or certain teachers. You
seem to be arguing that there is no point to formal training at all and
I can't subscribe to that pov, whatever the field. I believe strongly
in a meritocracy - and the initial indication of a candidate's merit is
his/her formal qualifications. Without these diplomas and certificates,
we may have no reliable way to whittle 1000 job applicants down to a
manageable shortlist.

Simon