Old 04-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Nick Apostolakis

Default pesticides question

Liza wrote:
Don't take the risk. Don't use pesticides. And there are several reasons I
would advise this.

Their are several key issues that you should address when deciding to use
natural methods of controlling pests:
A good book to outline all these issues and how to undertake a chemical free
veggie patch is : Natural Control of Garden Pests, by Jackie French.
However, I'm sure google has a wealth of information.

Some very simple points anyone can undertake without being an expert are :

Be aware of how pests find plants : It is either through sight or smell.
By mixing plants together in a non-uniform manner you make it more difficult
for pests to locate plants.
Most monocultures of any variety need some form of best control. Mix the
vegies up

Introduce a pond and frogs. Frogs love pests.
If you can get a duck, you will solve all your snail problems.

i would like to thank you for your answer but it does not cover my question.

the question is more of a theoretical knowledge and not a question of
what i use in my garden.
also i would like to point that i have a sufficient knowledge of the
alternative - natural ways to control pests as i have a degree in
agricultural science.

i agree with your opinion and all the reasons that you mention above but
still my question remains.

to make my question even more clear
lets take as a case study that you do not grow your own tomatoes but you
buy them from the supermarket. does your leaving them to rest for a few
days in the refigerator result to a degration of the pesticides that the
proffesional farmer has used in their production?

you see my question is a theoretical one which answers many practical
issues and is not covered by one practical solution. it needs also a
theoritical answer.
i personally believe that the answer depend of the arco-chemical and
that there are various categories that have various degration factors
but i have no proof of that and that is why i ask at the newsgroup to
see if anoyne else has an answer better to this question.

Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos